We have expert voices on a range of cancer support related issues:
- Dame Laura Lee, ¾ÞÈéÎÞÂë Chief Executive
- Clinical Psychologists
- Benefits Advisors
- Cancer Information Specialists
- Storytellers â€“ the people we support
Dame Laura Lee
¾ÞÈéÎÞÂë Chief Executive
Former oncology nurse Laura has been at the helm of Maggieâ€™s since its inception in 1995.
She met Maggie Keswick Jencks when Maggie was being treated at the Western General Hospital in Edinburgh. Laura was her Oncology Nurse, and together they worked on a blueprint for a different type of cancer care.
When our first centre opened in the grounds of the Western General Hospital in 1996, she became our first member of staff as Programme Director before becoming Chief Executive in 1998.
Laura has devoted most of her adult life to making sure people with cancer, and their family and friends, are able to access our expert support when they need it most.
As Chief Executive Laura has overseen the growth of the organisation.
We now have 24 centres in the grounds of NHS hospitals across the UK, as well as a growing international network.
As well as acting as client for every new build, designed by world renowned architects following our own brief, Laura has also overseen the development of our professional programme of support to meet the practical, emotional and psychological needs of people living with cancer.
Laura has worked tirelessly for 27 years making an incredible difference to the lives of people with cancer and was recognised for her services to people with cancer when she made a Dame in the Queen's Birthday Honours list in 2020.
Laura is determined that one day no one will have to go through cancer without having the option of visiting a Maggieâ€™s centre. And Maggieâ€™s has never been more needed: with treatments delayed and the cost-of-living crisis having a huge impact on people with cancer, people visiting our centres say that have experienced heightened stress, anxiety, anger, fear and trauma.
Under Lauraâ€™s leadership, Maggieâ€™s centres were visited* nearly 300,000 times in 2022. 67,000 were new people with cancer or new carers of someone with cancer.
Dame Laura Lee is available for interviews both in person and remotely and is always happy and eager to discuss the issues that really matter to her. These include:
- Building a charity from foundation to growth
- Architecture, design and gardens - the impact on health and wellbeing
- Why every person with cancer deserves access to emotional and psychological support
- The impact of the cost-of-living crisis on people with cancer
- Why a revolution in hospital design and an integrated care pathway is a pivotal moment to do more for people with cancer
- The future of cancer care
- The importance of emotional support for people with cancer
- How to live well with cancer
Email email@example.com if youâ€™d like to discuss an interview request.